This access guide does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Oakbank House is located on Helm Road in the centre of Bowness on Windermere, the second largest town in the South Lakes. Eight miles north of Kendal and four miles south of Ambleside the town is located on the eastern shores of Lake Windermere.
A former family residence the building sits fifty metres up Helm Road on the left hand side. Helm Road is on a steep incline that makes the location unsuitable for anybody who finds walking uphill difficult and for wheelchair users.
On approaching the entrance at the front of the building there are ten steps that lead up to reception. There are railings with handrails on both sides of the steps but there is no wheelchair access or lift.
The guest house has eleven bedrooms on three floors with two bedrooms, breakfast room and guest lounge located on the ground floor.
The two ground floor rooms have en-suite bathrooms with walk in showers so are suitable for the elderly or people with minor disability needs. Once in the building occupancy of either ground floor room means the guest will not have to climb any more steps or stairs.
The surrounding streets are well lit, paved and or tarmac providing safe walking to and from the house.
- Nearest railway station is Windermere - 1 mile - Trans Pennine line
- Nearest main line Oxenholme Lake District - Virgin West Coast line
- There are taxis ranks outside both stations. Windermere to Oakbank House approx. £4 and direct from Oxenholme approx. £25
- The connection from Oxenholme to Windermere takes ten minutes
- The main bus routes are the 555 and the 599 that provide links to Windermere from Barrow, Keswick, Lancaster and Kendal
- Further bus services operate that link Windermere to the surrounding Towns and Villages
- Mobility hire facilities can be found in Kendal, 8 miles south of Windermere.
Car Parking and Arrival
- There are twelve free parking spaces on site located at the front, side and rear of the property.
- There are four spaces at the front of the property within 2/3 metres of the front door.
- It is a fully covered tarmac surface with spaces signed and lines indicating the spaces.
- Taxis are able to pull onto our drive and drop of within two metres of the building.
- Staff will provide assistance with carrying luggage when required.
- There are ten steps up to the front door and there are handrails on both sides of the steps.
- Reception area is as you enter the building on your right hand side.
- There are two seats in our Reception
- Opposite reception is the entrance to our lounge that has seating for up to twelve people.
- Both reception and the lounge are fully carpeted.
- The breakfast room is also located on the ground floor off the hallway.
- The breakfast room has a solid wooden floor and seats twenty four people.
- On arrival guests are checked in and shown to their room where facilities are pointed out to them and personal requirements may be addressed.
- There are two ground floor bedrooms.
- Both are double rooms with a standard double bed, armchair, wardrobe, drawer space and shelving.
- The bed and chair may be moved slightly but neither room is able to accommodate additional beds for carers.
- Both rooms are carpeted
- There are reading lights over the bed and a central chandelier in each room.
- All bedding is non-allergenic. Beds have Duvets and blankets can be supplied.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms & Toilets (Ensuite or Shared)
- Both rooms have en-suite bathrooms.
- Each is served by a walk-in electric shower, WC and pedestal sink.
- Shower heads are removable for hair washing and convenience.
- They have a level floor access from the bedroom with lino flooring.
- Both are fully tiled
- They have a shaving point with a light above and a main light linked to an electric extractor fan.
- Complimentary toiletries are provided.
Public Areas - Halls, Stairs, Landings, Corridors
- Public areas are carpeted throughout, well lit and there is seating provided on all three stair landings.
- The six flights of stairs are carpeted
- There is a handrail on one side of the staircase that runs throughout the length of it.
- There are chandeliers and light fittings on all landings and stairwells
Public Areas - Lounge
- The lounge is entered via the Reception area on a level surface..
- It is carpeted and provides sofas and seating for up to twelve guests.
- There is a gas fire and central heating.
- There are several table lamps and there are two central chandeliers.
- There is a games table provided and there are a range of games and books provided for the guests.
- The breakfast room is entered on the ground floor.
- It has a solid hardwood Oak floor
- It provides seating for up to 24 guests
- Tables and chairs may be moved to accommodate guest needs.
- Chairs are open sided with straight backs and soft seating.
- Square tables are 24" by 24".
- LED down lighting serves the entire room
- The entire building is served by smoke detectors linked to a modern fire alarm system
- There are sensors and bell ringers to every room.
- Multiple fire escapes are available on each floor
- Emergency lighting exists throughout
- Fire escape procedures are displayed on the back of every bedroom door.
- Staff are trained in Fire Safety procedures
- The nearest Doctors surgery is Goodly Dale Health Centre - 1/2 mile away
- Nearest A&E Department is Lancaster - 24 miles away
- Nearest minor injuries unit is West Moorland Hospital - 9 miles away
- Free WiFi is provided throughout the building
- Use of free leisure facilities are provided for guests at the Old England Hotel - 150 metres away. There is a swimming pool, Sauna, Steam room, Gymnasium and Spa
Address (Inc postcode): Oakbank House Hotel, Helm Road, Bowness on Windermere, Cumbria, LA23 3BU.
Telephone: 015394 43386.
Hours Of Operation: Twenty four hour operation. Reception manned daily from 08.00 hours to 23.00 hours.
Local Accessible Taxi: Lakeland Taxis 015394 55555.
Local Public Transport: Stagecoach buses Virgin Trains Trans Pennine Trains.
If you have any queries regarding this Access Guide please email Oakbank House at email@example.com.